Infidelity Quickie #4: From Depression to a Future Tinged with Hope

by Dr. Robert Huizenga - The Infidelity Coach
Learn from these real life extramarital affair coaching scenarios.
In the first section the person struggling with the marital infidelity summarizes the scenario or concern and what he/she would like to say to his/her cheating spouse.
I then outline some goals that help him/her break free from the affair.
The last and important section gets at shifting the focus away from the spouse/partner to him/her self. In other words, what does all this mean for the person on the receiving end of an extramarital affair? After that mental shift (which is NOT easy for someone in the pain and turmoil of perhaps losing one's spouse, family, and home) I, the coach, offer phrases that he/she can relay to his/her spouse in a way that speaks directly of his/her concern and has the best chance of being heard and getting positive results.
Section 1: The "offended spouse" says:
I used to focus on what mood is he in, is he going to talk to me today, is he going to look/act like he'd rather be anywhere else with anyone else other than me. This habit/pattern is hard to break, but I'm working on it. I was so hurt and rejected that sometimes in my depression that I didn't leave the house for days. All this in an attempt to figure out how to be okay with my life and how lonely I was. This was his excuse for his affair ("if you thought it was bad being that way, you have no idea how hard it is to live with a person like that" - thoughtful words from him after I learned of his affair). I've been figuring out "what makes me happy" as friends refer to it, but that seems selfish and that's just not me. I'm learning how much living like that has affected the simplist of things - mood, attitude, communication and my relationship with our 13 yr old daughter. I wrestled with deciding whether or not to stay in my marriage and even though we're still living together, I was non-committal and that hasn't helped things much. But lately, I've been getting more clarification. I still don't have all the answers as for our marriage, but I do know that I'm doing what I'm called to do right now. He has been making changes although I've been frustrated that they're not the ones I think he should be doing. I realized that he's trying and doing the best he can and I've not acknowledged the changes that he has made and that tears down the very thing that I said that I wanted. Regardless of where this leads, I'm ready to move forward with my life. He has an opportunity to rise higher in his life and our relationship and if he's unable, I can accept that, but I know with all my heart that I need more than that and I love him enough to let him go. Otherwise, it'll continue to tear us down as individuals and as a couple. That to me would be unforgivable - to intentionally choose that. I've finally forgiven him and I'm excited to be able to share that with him when I see him (he's working 4 hrs away for a couple of weeks). I believe it's a gift that both of us need and it's necessary for healing regardless of whether we stay together or not. In addition to asking him to forgive me for where I fell short in our relationship, I've finally forgiven myself. The reality is that he made some wrong decision(s), but as painful as all of this has been (this was his second affair), I'm grateful for the opportunities that it's opened in my heart. There's great power in "pressing on" and getting through. I'll even go as far as to say that I'm starting to determine my call and purpose in life. I don't have the specifics yet, but I know that my past experiences were not given to me just to keep them inside and hide them away (survival of growing up in physical, emotional and verbal abuse, death of my child at age 7, two abusive ex husbands, battling depression, etc). I believe they can help others too. I've always believed that, I just lost sight of it. I'm excited to see how all of this unfolds. Well, I know you didn't ask for a book, but I've never been one short on words.
Section 2: Personal goals suggested by the coach:
For the remainder of this article and more...
This article is part of a series of articles written by Dr. Huizenga. He responds in practical and heart-felt ways to pressing issues such as:
46 Clues Your Partner is Having an Affair
Extramarital Affair: Their Sex is not "Always Hot"
Day of Discovery: I'm a Mess! Do I Need Meds?
Infidelity: Why the Need to Know is so Strong
Signs of Infidelity: My Marriage Made Me Do it
Emotional Infidelity: A KEY Tactic to Save the Marriage
Sexually Addicted? Ten Important Questions to Ask
Infidelity Recovery: What is it with Men?
The full Mini-ebook is one of many practical resources located in the Infidelity Insiders Members Area.
Join the Infidelity Insiders and have all of the articles at your fingertips. Soak in his practical, hard-hitting advice. Begin to formulate your own strategies to help you break free.
Become a LIFETIME MEMBER of Infidelity Insider now.
For more details click here
Get It & Download It Now

No comments:

Post a Comment